Thursday, April 02, 2009



Time Out and Resilience
I admit it.. I left Pittsburgh on a cold morning last month and enjoyed a warm weekend on a South Carolina beach. Thinking. Pondering. Wondering. Celebrating.
The vast Atlantic was in front of me and though I found very few shells that day, I did find solace and respite. Praying the "Hours" is teaching me that life has a rhythm and that rhythm is experienced daily. It is this "sabbath" rhythm that calls us to rest, work, and rest again. By creating small "time outs" in my day, I am able to fill up my reservoir of health that gives me the "bounce back" resilience that life demands of pastoral leaders.
For the interim congregation, the interim time itself is a "time out." This is a time for reflection, soul searching before pastor searching, prayer and discernment. As a pastoral leader in a time of transition, creating the "time out" space can be the key to helping the people hear what God is calling them to be and to do.
Bob Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are invited to add your reflections here...